Monday, April 5, 2010

the why behind our choice

I say "our choice," but really it was mostly my choice. My dear, sweet husband doesn't really care one way or the other, so long as our child is educated properly. He does agree with me on all our reasons to home school though, so I guess it was "our choice."

I did some thinking a few months ago about my education. I went to public school K through 12th grade. I don't recall ever being challenged in school. I do remember spending a lot of time in trouble during elementary school. I was always the first person finished with my work and as a naturally social and talkative child I was always distracting my classmates.

I recall one occasion in first grade when my teacher handed out a worksheet, it was subtraction I think and it was tooth themed. I read the directions and got started. I quickly finished it while the teacher continued to explain how to do it. Then after she was finished and I was sitting quietly (for once) she asked me if I already did the worksheet. Being six and honest I said yes. She then proceeded to scold me for not listening to the directions and staying with the group and I had to turn my card. I had done the work correctly so I was basically punished for not needing her help. As inconsequential as that story is, it demonstrates one of the biggest reasons why I want to home school.

The public schools are not geared toward high achieving, bright students. They are geared toward the lowest common denominator. Kids who are ahead of where they should be are often left to fend for themselves while the teacher focuses on the students that need the most help. I don't have a problem with the teacher working with students who need it, but I have a big problem with high achieving kids being "left behind." That's at best...gifted kids get ignored; at it's worst they are punished for being bright, scolded for getting ahead and their drive to learn is mentally beaten out of them. NOT OKAY in my book.

We are sending Molly to public pre-K this year. It's still very play based so I'm not really worried about her being ahead of her peers. In fact, socially she is very normal and I think that is great. She's not behind, and she's not ahead, she's just a regular kid. We will pull her after pre-K or Kindergarten, I haven't decided yet. I don't want her to be forced to do what the rest of the class is doing when she will have mastered the concept long before that.

It is the job of the public school to provide a free and appropriate education for all children, but this declaration seems to exclude gifted kids. We do everything we can to get the under-achieving child up to where they are "supposed" to be, but if a child has the capability to move beyond what they are "supposed" to be able to do at any given age, they are often forced to stay with the group. Granted, some places are better than others at accommodating gifted kids, but I don't want to depend on a broken system to educate my child properly.

Another reason we are going to home school is because we are Christians. We aren't fundamentalists, we aren't radicals, we are just regular folks who love Jesus. I want Molly to know and see God in each part of her world and public schools don't allow for that. She loves to study the human body...I want her to know that an omnipotent God created the intricacies of the nervous system and it is amazing and wonderful (for example).

In general, I just don't really like the way the public school works. Students away from home 7 hours a day and being exposed to who knows what/who knows who. Studies have show that out of that 7 hours a day only a little over an hour a day is spent in direct lesson learning with little to no one on one time with the teacher. Home schooling allows us to put in a shorter day and get more done, leaving more time for exploring our interests or going in depth with whatever subject we want to at that time. I can also choose what to emphasize and how much time we spend on each subject. If Molly excels at language arts, but struggles in math I can dedicate more time for math without dragging anyone along who isn't having the same trouble.

There are a ton of reasons why we are going to home school, but those are the biggies.

Let me know if my posts seem disjointed, I'm kind of just typing what is popping in my head and I don't know that it is all flowing together in a cohesive manner. I'm no journalist!

Up next, what we did today and materials we are using currently...probably after dinner. I'm on a roll!

7 comments:

  1. You are very impassioned about what you are saying. I totally agree with what you are saying because the children who are so gifted do get left behind. I don't like that God isn't in the schools and I definitely don't like that kids get in trouble for being smart. I don't think you sound disjointed about how you are going to teach your daughter, only about how the school systems treat our children. All I can say is, good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have any "scolding" incidents like yourself when I was in public school.

    In my opinion, its not elementary school where it matters a lot that there is an intellectual disparity between students in the same class.

    Starting in junior high and more importantly in high school there are honors programs that do cater to the brighter kids. The programs now are better than when we were in school and are much more collegiate in nature. I worked in a school district for a short time after college here in the DFW area.

    As far as the God stuff, well, someone needs to be a light in the darkness and if every Christian mom decided to home school then there would be no one there to be the light.

    Your pics of Molly are adorable, good luck with the schooling! I look forward to reading more about the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing these thoughts. We too, are contemplating home-schooling and I'm trying to sort out all my thoughts I have about it. Reading this helps! I look forward to hearing more about it! Sounds like y'all are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this, and I totally understand why you are doing it. I had some experiences like you did in school, but I was extremely shy and so they didn't know what to do with me. We had a good gifted program in elementary and middle school which is probably why I did well, but with budget cutbacks I know my hometown has cut back their gifted program.
    I think the thing that really gets me about public school (and I work in one and love all of my teachers there) is that the way the state works, you have to do so much to get kids ready for the tests that it's difficult to teach them the more functional things. Also, a child is in school for six hours a day (or more) and then has hours of homework. I was able to get out of the homework part because I did during the schoolday, but so many kids don't have that ability.
    I look forward to seeing how it progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all the comments so far.

    Jonathan- while I do agree with you to some degree on most of your comments, I'm not completely on the same page. For highly/profoundly gifted children (I'm not saying Molly is one of those, in fact I don't think she is at all, and I'm thankful for that) it is integral that they are identified early, very early. By the time middle school and high school roll around it is too late for them. Think of the limitless potential of young gifted children, much of that potential is gone by the time they are teenagers. If they are IDed early they can be guided to increase their knowledge exponentially.

    As for the light in the dark, God tells us to be in the world, but not of the world. Home schooled children can be involved in many outside activities, and they usually are, where they can set an example for others. I find, looking back at my teen years and from friend's comments that being a Christian teen is darn near impossible, especially when you are trying to follow the status quo as most teens are, even Christian ones.

    I think what happens more often is Christians are brought down rather than them shining a light for other kids.

    I have no intention of sheltering Molly from the world, but I want to help place a firm foundation within her before she reaches an age where she is bombarded on all sides by the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that you have made a wonderful decision. Jason and I have pretty much come to the same conclusion with Jay...and he's only 2. But the very thought of him in public school makes me sick to my stomach!! I am excited to see how it goes for you guys, and I know you will be an excellent teacher! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ran across this today and thought of you. Interesting comment from a young man recalling his "boring' experience in school. Scroll down to "Low Tolerance for Bordedom" found on http://theinnovativeeducator.blogspot.com/2010_01_01_archive.html

    ReplyDelete