Monday, April 19, 2010

Not too much to say

I've been getting things in the mail for the last week. I got the two Dover coloring books I ordered. They are very realistic pictures so I don't know if Molly is as interested in them as she would be in cartoon-y coloring books but that's okay, she likes them well enough. They have a good, long paragraph at the end  I also just got Mudpies to Magnets: Preschool Science Curriculum that has LOTS of good experiment ideas in it. It is designed for classroom use, but most of the experiments can be adapted for home use.
















I also think it's time we moved past book 1 1/2 in the Explode the Code series. I picked it up and turned to the end of the book and she can read everything, even though we haven't even started the book. It's a bit repetitive so she might just need to move a little quicker to more difficult reading lessons. I've been wanting to figure out what her reading level is, like late Kindergarten or early first grade etc etc. I need to find a way to figure that out.

The last few weeks have been SO busy that we haven't done much in the way of sit down learning. Last Friday we had lunch at Poblano Grill and had a little extra time so we sat down and practiced the skill taught in a song from Starfall.com. "When two vowels go a-walking, the first vowel does the talking." We practiced words like "road, toad, rain, pain, read, neat etc.

We also played on the computers at the library today. I've said it before and I'll say it again; the library is one of the richest resources around! She played a math game where she was learning the value of coins and counting them. Of course the library has books, but they do so much more. I think everyone should visit their local library at LEAST once a month, preferably more like once a week. There are activities for all ages, from birth to adult.They have a ton of activities and more than just story time type of things.

We moved Molly's plants out to the backyard garden today. They were growing a bit too big for the little planter they were in so they got transferred to the ground. After all the rain we got over the weekend, it was nicely saturated. So, now we have peppers, tomatoes, strawberries, cilantro, dill, chives, cucumbers, lettuce, mini sunflowers and marigolds.

I think that's all I've got for now, not too interesting as of late.

3 comments:

  1. There's a whole set of schoolhouse rock videos (though they might be a little old and some people aren't keen with the whole video thing for education) that are awesome. I remember learning so much from those that I still know. Conjunction Junction, anyone?
    I think what you are doing is awesome and I know that when we finally have children the journey you are going through will definitely give me some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What library do you go to? I know it is a bit out of the way for you, but my mom is the childrens librarian at the Yukon library (39th & Mustang). She does A LOT of kids programming for Molly's age and would love for you & Molly to come see her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are several educational websites that have games for children to play that involve math, reading, etc. My nephews actually have as part of their homework a few times a week to go to these websites and play certain levels. I can find out what some of the websites are and send them to you if you want. I'm sure you could always Google some too.

    Oh, and speaking of science experiments you definitely have to do my two favorites - make your own ice cream in a ziplock bag, and the exploding gummy bear!

    ReplyDelete